Sunday, May 10, 2009

Paula Deen and Friends Living it up Southern Style Cookbook

The kids got this for me for mothers day and I really like the looks of it. I haven't gotten to try any of the recipes yet but several of them have caught my eye. For instance, her camp out menu is very interesting. She has a recipe she calls Hamburger pie. Well, its not a pie, but it is a recipe I am very familiar with. My grandmother and mother both called them picnic meals. Its one of my favorite things to take on a camp out. What I never considered was that you could do a twist on it with chicken or pork chops. I can't wait to try those.

She also has a menu made up just of drinks. Some are leaded as in don't give them to anyone under the age of 21. Most of them however aren't. It was nice to see good old fashioned recipes for summer drinks that wouldn't leave you wondering if you could walk to your car much less drive it.

She also talks a bit in the introduction about getting a part in the movie Elizabeth town. I love that movie. In fact, I didn't know much about Paula until that movie came out. I loved her character so much I had to get start watching her on the Food Network. Now her cookbook has proven to be a wonderful addition to my library as well. If you haven't gotten a copy yet, check it out. You may find something you really like.

I can say this much for the recipe's. Ive never seen a grits recipe that looked more like flat bread or a hoe cake than it did rice or cornmeal mush. I may actually have to try it. I might be southern but so far in my life I haven't been that southern. :)

No comments: